The average salary of neonatologist in US is $229,500.
A very specialized medical professional, neonatologists deal with newborn infants, and are tasked with treating and diagnosing high-risk medical conditions. These professionals are most often seen in NICU (neonatal intensive care units) within hospitals.
Median Neonatologist Salary
- $229,500 per year
- $110 per hour
Neonatologists work primarily in hospitals. These professionals demand a high salary of $229,500, or $110 per hour as their median salary. It is important to note that the median salary is the mid-point of a set of data and is not a mean salary, or average.
Salary range for middle 50% of Neonatologists
- $193,500 – $276,500
- $93 – $133 per hour
The middle 50% figure is more accurate than a median salary figure. Using the same set of salary data, the bottom 25% of salaries and the top 25% of salaries are removed. This eliminates professionals that have been in the field under 1 year and over 15 years normally.
A range is derived from the remaining data. Using the data set available from Salary.com, we have concluded that the middle 50% earn $193,500 to $276,500 per year in base salary. In hourly terms, this data reflects $93 to $133 per hour.
Lowest and highest salary
- Lowest – $160,800 ($77/hour)
- Highest – $319,400 ($154/hour)
The lowest and highest 10th percentile of neonatologists either work in high-demand, metropolitan areas (highest), underpopulated areas (lowest), or their salary is reflective of their experience.
Professionals with 15+ years of experience are often found in the top 10th percentile of earners, making $319,400 ($154/hour). The lowest 10th percentile earn $160,800 a year as a base salary, or $77 per hour.
The total salary package
Benefits carry a great monetary value and demonstrate the true salary (called the total salary package) in the field. Based off of the median salary, the total salary package a person can expect is $324,400.
This salary data includes Social Security, time off, pension, healthcare, disability, 401K and bonuses.
Cities with the highest paying Neonatologists
- Neonatologists in Hempstead, NY earn $256,700.
- Neonatologists in Boston, MA are paid $247,900.
- Neonatologists in San Diego, CA earn $244,200.
- Neonatologists in Philadelphia, PA earn $241,600.
- Neonatologists in Baltimore, MD earn $235,700.
States with the highest paying Neonatologists
- New York
Factors affecting Neonatologist Salaries
There are two major industries in this field: healthcare and education. The majority, over 75%, will work in the healthcare industries within a hospital setting. These professionals are more likely to receive a higher total salary due to the large number of employees hospitals maintain.
Education in the field is a standard doctorate’s degree.
Experience is the final factor, and one of the most notable. Experts that deal with high-risk cases are able to demand a higher salary. The experience breakdown in the field is:
- 0 – 1 years of experience: 27%
- 2 – 5 years of experience: 24%
- 5 – 10 years of experience: 12%
- 10 – 15 years of experience: 12%
- 15+ years of experience: 24%
The majority of workers in the field have less than 5 years of experience. Pediatric specialty certifications can have a positive salary impact.
Training and certification requirements for Neonatologists
Training and certification requirements are rather standardized among all medical professionals. This field has the following requirements (in order):
- Bachelor’s Degree: An undergraduate degree is required. All professionals will need a bachelor’s degree to enter into a medical program. This takes 3 to 4 years to complete on average. Degrees related to health or science are an added bonus.
- Medical Degree: Medical school will commence once accepted into a program. Lab and coursework will be required at this time. Medical school lasts 4 years on average.
- Residency: A residency in general pediatrics is required to be a neonatologist. Residency programs last 3 years and will be followed by additional training.
- Internship: Following residency, an internship in neonatal intensive care is required and will last 3 years.
Internships lead the way for a professional to finally obtain the title of a neonatologist. A board exam must be passed and is conducted by the American Board of Pediatrics. Specialty certifications can be obtained through the board and will further help advance your career.
International Neonatologist Salaries
Neonatologists earn £42,700 – £148,500 per annum in the United Kingdom.
Neonatologists earn C$100,000+ per annum in Canada.
Neonatologists earn AU$29,800 – AU$154,000 per annum in Australia.